Slow-Cooker Apple Oatmeal Custard Breakfast
4 cups water or sugar-free apple juice (heated to boiling)
3 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
3 cups peeled Sage Fruit Apples (cored and chopped)
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
6 egg yolks
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups low-fat evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup packed brown sugar
Non-stick cooking spray
- Coat slow-cooker with cooking spray. Cover and set on high to heat.
- Pour hot apple juice into preheated slow cooker. Stir in oats, salt, apples, and cinnamon. Cover slow-cooker.
- Over stove, heat milk and vanilla on medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Remove from heat.
- Combine eggs and granulated sugar in a bowl. Whisk ½ cup of the hot milk into egg mixture. Whisk warm egg mixture into the remaining milk.
- Pour mixture over the oatmeal and apples. Do not stir.
- Turn slow-cooker to low and line the lid with 2 paper towels. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3 ½ hours.
- Uncover and sprinkle with brown sugar and serve.