Makes 8 -10 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh Rainier Cherries (pitted and cut in half)
(Save 12 whole cherries with stems for the garnish)
- 1 10.75 oz prepared butter pound cake (sliced into 26 equal pieces)
- 1 3.4 oz box of vanilla instant pudding
- ½ cup cran-cherry juice
- 1 envelope dry whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1 cup of whole milk
- ½ cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups prepared cool whip (thawed)
In large bowl of an electric mixer, combine box of vanilla pudding, dry whipped topping and milk. Beat with electric mixer for 4 minutes until the pudding mixture becomes thick like custard. Add teaspoon of almond extract and continue beating until extract is well combined. Set aside.
Next, grab a large glass trifle bowl and layer 13 of the pound cake slices in a single layer at the bottom of the bowl. Drizzle pound cake slices with ¼ cup cran-cherry juice. Spread ½ the pudding mixture on top of the pound cake and layer half of the cut cherries on top of the pudding mixture. Spread 2 cups of the cool whip on top of the cut cherries. Repeat layers.
Last, garnish the top of the trifle with fresh whole Rainier Cherries and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.