A weekly trip to the grocery store is not an uncommon occurrence. However, we’ve heard from many of you that visiting the produce department can be quite stressful – how do you know if you’re choosing the best-quality product?!
If you’re looking for apples, you typically know the flavor or texture you want (unless you’re feeling adventurous and are trying out a new variety.) You probably already know if you want sweet or tart, crisp, juicy, etc. Once you’ve decided that….
Here are our best tips for how to select, store and prep your fresh apples!
Look for apples:
- That are firm to the touch
- Have a good aroma
- Are free of skin breaks and bruises
- Place your apples in the refrigerator ASAP for best quality.
- Refrigerating slows down the ripening process and maintains flavor.
- Properly refrigerated apples can keep anywhere from 4−6 weeks.
- Store apples away from strong−smelling foods to prevent them from absorbing unpleasant odors.
- They won’t stay crispy and crunchy for long when kept at room temperature!
- Wash each apple under running water and dry with a clean paper towel.
- Washing with soap or detergents is not recommended.
Does the size of the apple matter? Nope! Size does not determine whether or not the apple you have selected is better or more ripe than another apple on the shelf. All apples -small, medium or large – are equally delicious!
Leave a Reply